Monday 1 April 2019

Sofa Spotlight - Shoot Your Shot, Vernon Brundage Jr.

This was recommended to me over on twitter and I should say first of all that this isn’t normally what I would choose to read. But I do like opportunities to try new reading adventures so here goes.

The tag line is “A sport-inspired guide to living your best life.” Said sport being basketball and the book assured me that any knowledge of basketball was not required to get the full benefit of this book. And as I know nothing of basketball I think I’m in an excellent position to put that to the test.

So I did. And it turns out it’s true, you don’t need that knowledge because all the concepts are clearly explained. It’s clear that Brundage has a love for the sport and that passion comes across. Having said that, it probably would help if you had some interest in basketball. Illustrations are understandably weighted towards basketball. But there is a balance, for me it got interesting when he applied those illustrations to life to make his point.

The book is structured to follow the pattern of a basketball game, so it’s split into quarters. I actually really enjoyed this idea, somehow it made it easier to process the content of the chapters. And there’s a helpful review at half time too.

As for the content I agreed with most of what Brundage had to say. There were parts that I didn’t agree with but on the whole his thoughts and view point on life were refreshing and well worth reading. What I also found refreshing was that Brundage has no problem bringing God into the pages of this book, and sharing not only his wisdom with the reader but also wisdom from the Bible.

So yes, I would definitely recommend giving this book a shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment