Monday 9 December 2019

Sofa Spotlight - 1984, George Orwell

I’ve heard so much about this book and it being an important book that I thought it was about time to read it. It was a much easier read than I thought - I was under the impression that it would take a lot of getting my head round it. But I soon found myself wrapped up in the story.

What I found the most interesting was how this seems to be the forerunner of all the dystopian YA books I’ve been reading. The year is 1984, which in the book is in the future, and the world has been transformed and the part that we are dealing with is run by Big Brother. Our main character, Winston, is feeling rebellious about the thought police and  is trying to find a way to rebel further.


The scary thing about this book is how realistic it is. The technology that is imagined isn’t far away from some of what we have today. And the actions of the government resonate with some of the dictatorships that arose in the last century. So yes I would agree that this is an important book and worth a read. It fit in well with my reading of Solzhenitsyn too.

No comments:

Post a Comment