Monday 15 June 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins

For me this is the most interesting book in the series. While The Hunger Games did a good job at setting up this word, Catching Fire allows us to explore further. It’s the Quarter Quell and that lines up all kinds of action and drama to follow. I love that we get to see victors from previous games and understand their characters. Haymitch I found interesting but it is Finnick who I love the most, followed closely by Johanna Mason.

So President Snow is out to make sure that the inflammatory actions of Katniss Everdeen, at the end of the previous, book don’t ignite a rebellion, but I think we all know how that is going to work out. On her victor tour of the districts with Peeta it becomes clear that there’s a massive problem in the districts. So when the Quarter Quell comes along (the 75th Hunger Games) Snow takes the opportunity to retake control.

All that to say that there is so much in this book that helps make sense of what makes up the world of Panem and the Capitol. And of course who can you trust? Because right up until the end you just don’t know. Throughout the entire series there are many twists that I enjoyed being shocked by. And I do think that Catching Fire has the best ones. Although sometimes I worked them out just a little bit ahead of the characters, but still they were fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment