Monday 17 August 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt

 This was a book that seemed to be the book to read when I was studying for my A-levels. I’m getting around to reading it about 15 years later! It’s the memoir of Frank McCourt and his childhood in 1930’s/40’s Limerick, Ireland. Not an easy read at all.

What was hard was hearing how hard the conditions were for the poor in Ireland. The way it’s described makes you think it should be something out of Dickens rather than less than a hundred years ago. Like I say it’s a hard memoir to read as Frank’s father is an alcoholic and struggles to hold down a job, which ultimately affects the family.

It may not be easy to read but it did give some insight into what life was like in Limerick during the war. And there were tears from me too – life was so hard and it made me realise how much I take for granted. So, a thought provoking read but I’m not sure I could read it again, in places it was a little on the explicit side.  

No comments:

Post a Comment