Friday 27 November 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Gone, Michael Grant

I love how this book looks. Although my worry with books that have coloured pages is that the dye will end up on my hands and I would end up looking like The Hulk! But thankfully in this case my fears were unfounded.

The story is about Sam and his friends who are under 14 on the day when everyone over the age of 14 just vanishes. In this respect it has the feel of Lord of the Flies, which is perpetuated by the leadership battle that emerges between Sam and Caine. But there is enough distinction for this to be a good book in its own right.

Overall I enjoyed this and I’m intrigued to see where the story goes in the rest of the series. But there were elements of the story that made me uncomfortable. I had to really remind myself that the characters were children, and in that respect some of what happens is shocking. Sam does stand as a moral compass for the group, but there are characters that are obsessed with violence and don’t seem to have any empathy.

I would say read with caution but it’s a good concept and intriguing storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment