Sunday 26 July 2015

Sofa Spotlight - The Murder at the Vicarage, Agatha Christie


For a long time now I have wanted to read the detective novels by Agatha Christie. So I thought, what better place to start than with Miss Marple and The Murder at the Vicarage? Growing up I can remember watching Miss Marple on TV, played by Joan Hickson, who in my mind is brilliant as Miss Marple, no matter what EG says. The Murder at the Vicarage was a favourite of mine to watch and that influenced my decision.

When I started I wasn't sure about the writing style. It wasn't what I had been expecting and I didn't like it very much. But it did grow on me and by half way through I was hooked. Knowing how it ended from watching it on TV didn't matter, because somehow I managed to forget and spent a long time trying to work out who had done it. Towards the end I had either worked it out or remembered who was the culprit and so I had the satisfaction of being right when the murderer was revealed.

I would say that if you have never read an Agatha Christie novel you should try this one. I'm guessing fans of Christie will have already read it - and if you haven't, what are you doing? Get on and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment