Monday 2 March 2020

Sofa Spotlight - The Moving Finger, Agatha Christie

In case you hadn’t worked it out already - I love Agatha Christie! There are many of her stories that I class as my favourites and this is one of them, although to my shame I had never actually read it. I had fallen in love with the story through watching different adaptations. Once I had clocked that it was only a matter of time before I got around to reading it.

The story is brilliant. It’s about Jerry Burton and his sister Joanna who go to live in a quiet English village so that he can recover after a plane crash. They haven’t been there very long before they find out that someone is sending poison pen letters to the villagers, and they receive a few themselves. No one seems to know who is behind it and then the deaths start, seemingly in connection with the letters. 

Of course Miss Marple is never far away  and you know she will sort it all out in the end, but not before significant drama. Most of the story comes through the eyes of Jerry Burton and it’s his character that I love the most. He’s human and the character of his sister accentuates his humanness. But he is also a cohero of this story along with his romantic interest, who is taken by surprise at his interest. 


If you’ve never read an Agatha Christie before this is a good place to start. I promise you will enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment