Monday 24 February 2020

Sofa Spotlight - England’s Best Loved Poems, George Courtauld

This was a present from a few years ago that I’ve just got around to reading. Yes be warned it can take me a while to read books bought for me as presents. It’s not that I don’t want to read them it’s just that there are so many books on my tbr pile that presents have to join the back of the queue.

Anyway not being a huge lover of poetry I was sceptical about how much I would enjoy this collection. But to my delight I found that I enjoyed it very much. Sometimes not because of the poem but because of the background that was provided for each poem. I’m finding that the more I know about the poem or the poet the more I enjoy their work. 


Without this book I wouldn’t have know that Winston Churchill was a poet! So yes one I would recommend but I would love to see something similar for different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment