Sunday 12 May 2019

Sofa Spotlight - Rob Roy, Walter Scott

I have returned to Walter Scott for another of his adventures. Given how much I enjoyed Kenilworth I was quietly excited and confident that I would enjoy this one. I was wrong. So far this is my least favourite Walter Scott novel.

My main problem with this book is that at the end I’m not entirely sure who benefits from what happened in the book. There doesn’t seem to be any clear satisfactory ending. When characters go through a lot, and these characters do go through a lot, you want them to be rewarded with what they want. Not so here. The best that happens is that a major tragedy is avoided, the people you like escape, and main characters are spared financial ruin. Which I suppose is a positive outcome.

But to achieve that the main character, Frank Osbaldistone, has to meet his cousins, who are a bizarre bunch. Rashleigh being the worst, and quickly cast as the villain. Osbaldistone then has to rescue his father’s firm from ruin at the hands of the dastardly Rashleigh by venturing into hostile Scotland. Starting with Glasgow. There he meets an acquaintance of his father’s who proves to be an ally - albeit a timid one in later adventures.

By this point you can’t help but wonder where is Rob Roy who the story is about? And about now he does make an official appearance although he has appeared before in the story thinly disguised as it seems is Scott’s style. (Thinking King Richard in Ivanhoe).

As it happens Rob Roy is connected with Rashleigh in some way, which I never was fully clear on, and offers to assist our hero in the accomplishment of his quest.

From here it is a trip into the Highlands where we see our hero chased by English soldiers and sort of helped by Highlanders. We meet Rob Roy’s wife, who is formidable to say the least, and after it all everyone sort of returns to normals.

From a plot point of view I think it’s fairly weak. There are too many secrets and hints at mysteries that are not that exciting once they have been revealed. I found it hard to work out what Rashleigh’s motives were, although at some point I think I clocked them. But like the rest of the novel it was a bit obscure for my liking.

Like I say not my favourite Walter Scott novel so not one I would recommend. If you’re going to read Scott I would say start with Kenilworth. The storyline is more obvious and although it can be a little dubious it’s a good story.
However if you are rather fond of this novel then I am very sorry for not treating it very gently. I suppose it’s just not my cup of tea.
Have you read it? Do you agree or am I completely wrong?!

No comments:

Post a Comment