Monday 17 June 2019

Catch up on the Sofa with A. L. Kent

Author of A Journey of Three Degrees A. L. Kent has taken a seat on the sofa to share some thoughts.

When did you first realise that you wanted to be a writer?

I've always liked writing. As early as I was able to form words on paper, I started journaling. By my early teens, I was writing poetry, too. My first stories came as a result of course work in high school and at university. In my twenties, I felt the initial stirring to become an author. And the seed of that was first nurtured at the 1st book signing I attended, where I met and was inspired by Nicholas Sparks, in 1998! Now I am bursting with material which has been collected over two decades, practiced, and hopefully perfected and ready to be given to an audience. I have several works in process, multiple genres, and am excited to finally have reached the point in my life to start publishing.

What was the first book that made you cry?

The first book that made me cry was The Diary of Anne Frank. I had to read that in English class in 4th grade, I think it was, and it of course left a lasting impression.

What was your favourite book as a child?

There were a few. But I remember reading Peter Pan over-and-over. And I was very taken with Little Women.

What are you reading right now?

Right now I am reading books from authors I've recently met in order to give them reviews. Once I do, I will post about them. Until then, I'd rather not disclose the titles.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

When I am not writing, I enjoy supporting others, especially other creatives. I dream of becoming seriously involved in philanthropy in the future. There are so many causes I wish to support. Top of my list is enjoying & supporting my family, my husband and our two children, and extended family, as well. Travelling, cooking, walking and cycling in the great outdoors, these are also activities I treasure.

What was your inspiration for A Journey of Three Degrees?

A Journey of Three Degrees literally began as a dream! As I was sleeping, I saw a scene that, although highly edited from its original form, still exists near the ending of the book. The main character Anna's emotion grabbed hold of me just before I awakened and spurred me to begin writing her story. I had to work backwards, to create a beginning, then a middle, and to connect all with the ending. It was quite an adventure, as the story seemed to write itself - bits from dreams, inspirations from films and songs, all mixed with elements from my own life. Every time I sat down to write, it all just flowed through me and took me on a journey, which I had not planned. Every session came with adventure & surprises, emotional ups & downs, and I became hooked on the process.

Do you have ideas for future books you might want to write?

Currently, I am finishing edits on the sequel to A Journey of Three Degrees that I plan to publish this summer. In it, Anna's journey comes full circle. I plan on writing many more novels and trying several different genres. An idea for a thriller is brewing in my mind...



Make sure you have a read of her book:




No comments:

Post a Comment