Monday 3 June 2019

Catch up on the Sofa with Maria Johnson


Author of The Boy from the Snow and The Veiled Wolf Maria Johnson has taken a seat on the sofa and shared some insights.

When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I honestly can’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing – I think I was scribbling down stories from when I was very young. I remember in primary school an author came to visit. After a quick Google, I’ve realised it was a children’s book called ‘Come Back Hercules’ written by Rob Lewis and published in 1998. Sadly today it’s out of print, but I still remember thinking how cool it was to be the one who wrote the stories. Perhaps the seed of becoming an author was planted then!
Then, in Year 9 English, at the school year my teacher set us homework at the beginning of the year, asking us questions about ourselves and what we might want to do after school. I think I must’ve been particularly brave that year, because I wrote I wanted to be an author and shyly admitted to a short story I’d written.
Then, when I got the homework back, it was covered with a big sticky note with a smiley face on it. She wrote comments on it, telling me how interested she was that I’d written a story and told me to pursue my love of writing. I’ve never forgotten her encouraging smiley notes.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?

As well as my love for writing, I enjoy swimming, walking, spending time with friends and a good cup of coffee. I’m also a Christian and a minister’s wife, so I love being involved with my local church family and with wider Christian organisations.


What was your favourite book as a child?
I’ve had a few favourite books over the years! I loved ‘Black Beauty’ by Anne Sewell, ‘The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett’ and ‘Treasures of the Snow’ by Patricia St.John


What was the first book that made you cry?
Good question- probably Black Beauty. I loved Black Beauty as a child and the author, Anne Sewell, writes so well that you are really gripped by Black Beauty’s journey and really connect with his emotions. There’s a couple of really dark, sad moments in the book that are so well written, with such honesty and pain, that I couldn’t help but cry along with him.



What was your inspiration for ‘The Boy from the Snow’?
I’ve had the main character of ‘The Boy from the Snow’ since I was a child. When I was about 7, my brother got Lego. He would be off building amazing structures, but I was more fascinated with the Lego characters, particularly a soldier character. I used to take the yellow Lego characters to my room and make up stories with them. That’s where my main character, Daniel was born and the main plot idea for him, as well as the characters King Cedric and Princess Evelyn, who also feature heavily in the book.


How long did it take you to write it?
Writing ‘The Boy from the Snow’ was a gradual process that took quite a while. First of all it was in my teens, when I realised the story I’d made up when I was 7 with those Lego characters had not really left me. I started writing about him in my late teens and again in my early twenties- this was a very old first draft, simply called ‘Daniel’ and it didn’t have the Celtic historical context that would develop later.
It was when my husband and I went to Oak Hill College in London, where my husband studied for ministry, that I realised again, Daniel and his story had never really left me. It was also the first time in a few years I had a bit more free time to write, as I’d decided to get involved with college life rather than work full time. During my first year at college I set about rewriting it and did some research to place him in the Celtic period, before finally submitting it in August 2016.
  

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while you were writing The Boy from the Snow?
I’m not sure how much this surprised me per se, but I really loved doing the historical research for ‘The Boy from the Snow’. After deciding that post-Roman Celtic Britain fit Daniel the best (there was a lot of rival kingdoms and warring kings during this time, which was an important aspect of the book), I really enjoyed the process of setting Daniel in this wider world. Although the Kingdoms of Gaeson and Klumeck mentioned in the book are fictional, the wider kingdom of Rheged (a Celtic kingdom spreading across Cumbria and parts of Cheshire and Lancashire) really existed.
Some people might find the word ‘research’ boring, but for me it was anything but – rather, every fact I read added that bit more colour and detail to Daniel’s world. I particularly enjoyed the aspect of Daniel interacting with kings and historical figures that really existed, for example King Urien who was perhaps the most famous King over all Rheged.


How many hours a day do you write?
Since moving to Cheshire, I’ve decided to write as my main job – I’m so humbled and privileged that I get to do what I love and especially that I have such a wonderful husband who is in complete support of me writing rather than looking for other paid work and squeezing writing into my evenings or weekends.
In a typical day, I can write between 4-6 hours, usually a block in the morning and a block in the afternoon. This can vary, as I’m also involved with other church activities during the week.


Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?
My book does have a few spoilers, but these are all particularly obvious! There aren’t really any secrets I can think of that then aren’t revealed in the book, however there are some plot threads I haven’t resolved because they then are picked up in my next novel, ‘The Veiled Wolf,’ the sequel- out 30th May.
  

Do you believe in writer’s block?
Interesting question! Yes, I believe it can happen, that words can sometimes struggle to flow. If it happens to me, it’s quite niggly stuff, like how to get from the start of a scene to an end of a scene.
What did take me a while though was trying to finish my third novel (I finished the first draft about six weeks ago). I had gotten to the point where I had written all the scenes, but there were over 20 highlighted sections where I’d said ‘link to next scene’ ‘expand this bit’ ‘finish chapter’ etc. It took quite a while to finish those bits, to ‘connect the dots’ as it were, without writing ‘the next day…’ repeatedly. I eventually got there, though. I’m now currently letting my first novel sit a bit (I’ve been editing a young adult fantasy novel, called ‘Lottie’s Locket’, that I’ve been working on in the meantime), but I’m looking forward starting to edit the third novel soon.


Find out more about Maria Johnson on her website and follow her on Twitter



Twitter- @MariaJauthor

And don't forget to read her books:

No comments:

Post a Comment