Monday 15 July 2019

Sofa Spotlight - A Dark Night's Work and Other Stories, Elizabeth Gaskell

I first read this collection of short stories by Elizabeth Gaskell one wet summer a few years ago. What I remember most was how much I enjoyed reading these to the sound of the rain drumming on the ground. So I thought I might try to relive that experience. Sadly I couldn’t recreate the rain but I did enjoy the stories.

A Dark Night’s Work is the main story and tells the tale of a young man who takes on his father’s business as a lawyer. He’s relatively successful and marries well and has a daughter. After a few tragedies he starts to spend beyond his means. All the while plagued by his junior partner Mr Dunster. Poor Dunster is trying to help Mr Wilkins and to save the firm but ends up dead at the hands of Mr Wilkins. The crime has to be covered up and Wilkin’s daughter has found out what happened. The story follows his daughter Eleanor as the weight of the crime weighs heavy on those who know.

My other favourite story from this collection is the Grey Woman. A tale that follows a young woman who gets entangled with bandits, quite by accident. It’s very exciting.

Gentle stories include one about sheep shearing in the Lake District so there really is something in this book for everyone!

So if you have a rainy summer’s day you should find a copy of this book and have a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment