Monday 8 July 2019

Sofa Spotlight - The Neapolitan Loves, Alexandre Dumas


This was the third Dumas book that I read over Christmas. I was hoping that unlike the other two this one would have a conclusive ending. It didn’t. And it sounds like an ice cream too!

The difference with this one is that there’s a fair bit more tension in this one - in my mind anyway. As the story goes a young girl marries a man who is a friend of her father’s and old enough to be her father. All is well until a spy is attacked by a band of assassins on her doorstep. She takes him in, hides him and helps him recover. Oh and also falls in love with him.

True to form Dumas brings in some famous characters to play with and this one includes Admiral Nelson. When I read books like this I get very inspired to do research into the politics of the time. As much as my favourite character was the King who gets conned into invading Rome and taking it back from the French I would be interested to know what the relationships between these countries and Austria and Britain was really like.

Anyway the heroine’s husband gets caught up in all the politics and it could be that his involvement in them could pave a way for the lovers to be together. But it’s on a knife edge as it could go completely the other way.
Aside from this there’s a lot of humour and running around delivering and intercepting messages and clock and dagger spy stuff that makes for a good read. And as a lesser known work of Dumas I would recommend it. If you don't mind unresolved endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment