Monday 6 April 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Zone One, Colson Whitehead


Picked this up after reading The Nickel Boys. Very different story. This one set in New York in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. The story follows a clean up team as they try to put New York back together. The zombies are still out there but they have hope that the situation can be reversed.

It’s a good read, and kind of making me think. I know I enjoyed it because I had a dream about it. Basically, in my dream I ended up rewriting the ending because I needed a more conclusive ending. My dreams ending was the zombies taking themselves to cemeteries and graveyards where they belonged and all the trains and busses were rammed with them.

The actual ending is a lot more thought provoking and one that I didn’t anticipate. Colson Whitehead creates a completely new take on our world and the characters are very intriguing. 

I was left thinking about what I would do in a similar situation. One scene in the book sees the early days when the virus that turns people into zombies. One of the main characters is on a train when someone in the next carriage shows symptoms. Chaos ensues. And just before we went into lockdown I too was on a train and I couldn’t help but wonder what I would do if Covid-19 was a more sinister strain of virus. 


Anyway it’s a thought provoking, distracting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment