Monday 27 April 2020

Sofa Spotlight - C. S. Lewis: A Life, Alister McGrath

I grew up loving the Chronicles of Narnia. The land of Narnia wasn’t somewhere that I just read in the novels, I of course watched and enjoyed every adaptation that was available. And who couldn’t enjoy the BBC adaptations from the late 80’s? Mr Beaver – terrifying.  But on top of all that I explore the lands C. S. Lewis had created in my imagination most days. I loved them.

My next experience of Lewis was in The Screwtape Letters, which in my opinion, are a work of genius. Mere Christianity was my most recent read of his and I am yet to read the Space Trilogy, or any of his other non-fiction works. So it was only natural when I saw this book that I would want to read it and meet the man behind the works that I had so much enjoyed.

Initially I found it hard to get into. I’m not a huge biography reader and I often find the opening chapters hard going. But once I had battled through that I found this to be a fascinating book. It was the kind where you get annoyed by interruptions and you have to be reminded to eat.

There was so much that I didn’t know about C. S. Lewis. My knowledge of him had kind of been limited to an awe of someone who could create a world like Narnia. I remember when I first found out that he was an Oxford academic and had a bit of difficulty getting my head around him being both academic and immensely creative. I know it’s not that unusual to be both but I was young. But that was where my knowledge ended. I had no idea about his involvement with WWI or about his relationships with his father and brother.

So yes, one I would most certainly recommend. Make a brew, or get an ice cream and make an afternoon of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment