Monday 28 September 2020

Sofa Spotlight - The Colossus of New York, Colson Whitehead

 The latest instalment of my Colson Whitehead binge read. The only thing that could have made this read better would be if I had actually visited New York and knew what he was talking about. But isn’t that the magic of reading – you can travel all over the world, through time and history, without leaving the comfort of your armchair?

Which brings me to what this book is about. It is obviously about New York, but from a hundred different angles. It seems to take on the life of the city in its memories and becomes a living entity in its own right. I’m not sure how far off poetry this book is, given that it is entirely prose, but to me this is the kind of impact I think poetry should have on you.

I’d definitely recommend this. I enjoyed it, mainly because I’m not one for travelling so this may well be the closest that I get to visiting New York. It’s not a long read and I was through it in a couple of hours – no I couldn’t put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment