Friday 2 October 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins

 Reading this made me realise how much I enjoy this series and that Suzanne Collins did a great job with the twists and the drama right until the last page. I’ve been rereading the series so that I can remember all that happens for when I read the latest book, A Ballard of Songbirds and Snakes.

For my favourite of the three original Hunger Games books will always be the second one, Catching Fire. But they are all good and I’ve loved each of them. Mockingjay is the final installment of the journey of Katniss and her encounters with President Snow and the Capitol. There’s a lot to tie together before the end but nearly all my questions were answered, so I was satisfied.

It’s in this book that Prim’s character is developed and, funnily enough, I love her cat. But what makes this book stand out for me is that it reaches into grey areas and makes you think about what you feel is acceptable. There’s no doubt that the Capitol needs a revolution of some kind, but then where is the line between where justice becomes vengeance? Different characters have different takes on this and it is challenging to think through your own values.

No comments:

Post a Comment