Monday 18 January 2021

Sofa Spotlight - Run with the Horses, Eugene Peterson

This is a second read for me and once again I was struck by how relevant this book is. And particularly now I think that this book has a lot to say to us during this pandemic.

Eugene Peterson takes us through parts of the book of Jeremiah, giving us a feel for the time and place he lived. I found it very easy to picture what life would have been like for Jeremiah. Peterson is a great story teller and knows how to bring the pages of the Bible to life. But what he drew out from Jeremiah’s story was his faithfulness and the depth of Jeremiah’s relationship with God.

This isn’t a commentary on the book of Jeremiah, but it does lend many insights into the book. I feel like I need to read it again straight away to gather what I missed the first time round. There are many striking similarities between Jeremiah’s world and our own and the challenge to be faithful is always with us as it was for Jeremiah. Having said that, Jeremiah had to contend with a lot and then he ended up dying in Egypt. But it is an example of faithfulness without seeing the results in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment