Monday 13 January 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Furious Hours, Casey Cep

One for you if you are a fan of either Harper Lee or In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I think this is possibly one of the best non fiction books I read last year and I’m not alone in that opinion. Really you could split this book in two. 

Part of it deals with the murder of The Reverend. The Reverend being Rev Willie Maxwell, a suspected serial killer in Alabama, who was shot at the funeral of what may have been one of his victims. The second serves almost  as a biography of Harper Lee and focuses in on her investigation of Maxwell. 

Harper Lee’s involvement in the research needed for Truman Capote’s book In Cold Blood, also comes under scrutiny. And it essential for understanding why she may have been working on a manuscript for a book about Willie Maxwell. Certainly Cep makes a valid case for parts of the book having been written, but sadly it’s one of those things we may never know for sure. 


I read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time last year and fell in love with it. Needless to say I was eager to get my hands on this book and I wasn’t disappointed at all. Casey Cep makes this an exciting and very readable tale. If you didn’t catch it last year, make sure you do this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment