Monday 6 January 2020

Sofa Spotlight - The Key to the Half Words, Andrew Chaplin

Very glad for the recommendation of this one. I have to admit that I wasn’t overly sure what I was getting myself into when I picked it up and it took a couple of chapters for me to get into it. But once I had got my head around a genre I don’t often encounter I found myself enjoying it. 

As I read I felt there was a heavy influence of Tolkien on the narrative. The plot line follows the adventures of two boys who live on one side of a divide. There was once one world occupied by both humans and mythical creatures. Only mythical creatures are not mythical in this book they just live on the other side of the divide. Our heroes fall through a gap and find themselves in the other half world, where they help wizard Toby in his efforts to stop an evil queen.

So not just seeing the influence of Tolkien but also of C. S. Lewis. Having said that, the story is unique and stands apart from both these authors. For one thing it addresses issues pertinent to today that neither Lewis or Tolkien would have had knowledge of. Whether Chaplin intended his work to be a metaphor or not, its possible to read into it about how divided our own world is and how those divisions can be overcome, if dealt with gently and kindly, or exploited with disastrous consequences. 

So yes my recommendation is, check this book out!

No comments:

Post a Comment