Monday 27 January 2020

Sofa Spotlight - The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

This has been on my list as a book that I felt I should read, rather than one I wanted to read. I’d seen the film a few years ago and wasn’t that fussed about it, but thought that maybe the book was better. Turns out that if I hadn’t seen the film I would have had a problem understanding what was happening in the book.

It won’t come as a surprise to learn that the plot follows the fortunes of a character called Gatsby. Gatsby throws outlandish parties in the hope that Daisy, who he was in love with but couldn’t marry, will come. Thing is Daisy is now married, but that doesn’t stop Gatsby from being obsessed with her. And eventually things go pear shaped.

My biggest problem was finding a character that I could get behind. None of them were likeable and some of them, like Daisy’s husband, I really didn’t like. When the book came to an end I wasn’t left with a great impression. If anything I was glad it was over as it had been hard work to get to the end. Not one I would recommend, but maybe I’m missing its significance. Either way it’s ticked off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment