Friday 30 October 2020

Sofa Spotlight - John Henry Days, Colson Whitehead

I know that I said that I probably wouldn’t be reading anymore Colson Whitehead this year, but I thought I might just slip another one in. I actually picked it up because I thought it would give me a bit more info on who John Henry was. Having heard a little about him I was curious to hear his story.

Which is why it was good that this book revolves around the many legends of John Henry. The story is about a freelance writer/journalist, J Sutter, who goes to cover a festival about John Henry. J is also creating a legend of his own and his own narrative mirrors that of John Henry, following what is true and how can you find the facts behind the story.

It goes without saying that I enjoy the writing of Colson Whitehead, but it’s not just because he writes well. His work is often thought provoking and stays with me long after I’ve closed the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment