Friday 12 March 2021

Sofa Spotlight: So Much More Than A Headache, Kathleen O'Shea

To me this was a very significant book to read. I’ve lived with migraines for 15 years and not once did I ever think to see if there was any literature about migraines. Turns out that there’s quite a bit. Which is what this anthology is made up of.

It goes without saying that this book was of interest to me. At the start there is a recommendation that those who don’t have migraines would benefit from reading it, to give an understand of what those who suffer with migraines experience. And I do agree with that, but I think for those readers dipping in and out of different sections would be more beneficial than trying to consume the whole thing.

The anthology is very well structured, each section following a different part of the migraine episode. I don’t often experience aura with my migraines but it was interesting to see and feel what that would be like. And I think that is what is so great about this read, it allows you to step into the shoes of someone who has a migraine and feel what it is like. For me there was a great relief in knowing that I’m not alone with these experiences and there are others who go through the same thought processes and worries.

For me what I found to be most helpful was learning how different people have learnt to live with their migraines. It removed some of the pressure of looking for a cure or a trigger to avoid. I’ve been inspired to think about my migraine life differently – to be thankful for the good days and enjoy them, and to weather the migraine days and not feel guilty about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment