Monday 10 February 2020

Sofa Spotlight - The Catcher in the Rye, J D Salinger

This was another one on my list of books I felt should be read. To be honest I was quite disappointed. Maybe I missed the point but I just didn’t get it. The plot is fairly straightforward from what I can gather and covers only a few days. 

The main character is Holden Caulfield, a 16 year old who drops out of school and spends a few days in New York just before Christmas. His disillusionment with the world is clear and he often refers to people he perceives as being superficial as “phonies” and it is clear he has little time for them. As the story progresses I felt that many of the characters he met fell into this category and his quest for a meaningful connection or relationship became harder.


I found it a hard book to read, mainly because I found Holden’s processing difficult to follow. Not sure I would recommend it. Maybe I’m wrong and it deserves its status as an important book. Let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment