Monday 13 July 2020

Sofa Spotlight - A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare

Found this to be the most ridiculous play I’ve read yet. I know it has a lot going for it, but when you bring in fairies that are holding grudges and dragging humans into their squabbles, I get a bit put off. Bottom has the worst deal in my opinion.

Once again love triangles feature and then the fairies get involved and everything is up in the air. Hermia and Lysander want to get married, but there are complications. Demetrius also loves Hermia and Hermia’s father would quite like Demetrius to marry Hermia. But then Hermia’s friend Helena likes Demetrius, but of course he isn’t interested. And that’s just one of four plot lines that intersect at various points.

To be honest this wasn’t my favourite. It was alright but I didn’t really like any of the characters, other than maybe Puck. But it’s another one off my list and taken care of. Looks like I might be able achieve my goal this year. And the more I read of them the easier they are to understand. Maybe they improve on a second reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment