Monday 19 August 2019

Sofa Spotlight - Le Tour: A History of the Tour de France, Geoffrey Wheatcroft

As we are between Le Tour and La Vuelta I thought this would be a good time to review this one. I was very excited to read it - having read a few cycling books now and being a big fan of Le Tour. At first I was surprised at how hard going it was, but I thought it would just take a little while to get into it. Truth be told I never really got into it.

And I don’t really know why. It had everything that it should. History and cycling. My two loves. But it wasn’t to be. Somehow I just found it hard going. Maybe there just wasn’t the space in this book to give me the depth of history I wanted. I did learn plenty though and I came away know much more about the sport and the development of Le Tour.

In the end I put it down to my knowing the race in the last ten years and so it was much more interesting when I got to names I recognised. Having said that, I’m not so sure that is why I didn’t enjoy it, because at the very least the history of the regions of France should have interested me.

Would I recommend it? Maybe not. Unless you are very into cycling and passionate about the Tour de France this probably isn’t the book for you. However, if those are your loves, as they are mine, give it a go and let me know if it’s just me that’s struggling with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment