Friday 16 April 2021

Sofa Spotlight - Becoming, Michelle Obama

I’m behind on reading this for a couple of reasons. The first is that I’m not a big reader of autobiographies so it wasn’t a book I would naturally reach for, and secondly I thought it might be a bit too heavy on American politics, not something I know a lot about, so my thinking was that it probably wasn’t for me.

But I kept hearing good things about it and I thought it might be worth a try. After I’d got over my initial shock of reading an autobiography I found that I was really enjoying it. It was a very engaging read and provided a window on a world that I didn’t know about. What came across to me was how much both Michelle Obama and Barack Obama cared about what they were doing, and how genuine they seemed to be. Whilst I was reading Becoming I was also reading other books and coincidently the authors of those books mentioned meeting the Obamas. What I thought was great was that the impression that those authors had of the Obamas was the same impression that I was getting as I read Becoming.

The focus is really on her family and what they went through together. It is very readable and one that I would recommend. Her life is inspiring but also human and relatable. Oh and there was an easy balance on the American politics thing, I wasn’t overwhelmed and I could understand what was going on – always a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment