Monday 19 April 2021

Sofa Spotlight - Burmese Days, George Orwell

 
Having read the obvious George Orwell books I thought it was time to move on from Animal Farm and 1984 to other books that I didn’t know. Burmese Days was my choice and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than the other two.

The main character, Flory, is part of the white community in Burma sometime after the First World War (I wasn’t paying much attention to when it was set). His struggle is that he doesn’t agree with the racism that radiates off his fellow club members and prefers the company of the local Burmese doctor. 

Flory’s struggle is one of putting his values above his need for a quiet life that doesn’t involve rows with the other members of his club. It is forced to come to a head by the schemes of one of the Burmese officials who wants to be a member of the all white club. What stands in his way is Flory’s friend the doctor who would be a more natural choice for the first non-white member.

From what I’ve read Burmese Days was inspired by George Orwell’s time as a policeman in what was then Burma. I found it hard to read because of the prejudices of many of the characters who seemed to lack substance when compared to Flory, who is capable of thinking for himself even if he has a hard time standing up for himself and his values.

I’d say it’s definitely still a relevant book. There are many contradictions in the characters which reflect so accurately the contradictions people have in themselves in real life. The characters are flawed but real and the book does expose the ridiculousness of racism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment