Monday 5 April 2021

Sofa Spotlight - The Chemist, Stephanie Meyer

I wanted to read this because I wanted to try a book by Stephanie Myer that wasn’t Twilight. And this sounded like a good option, my other choice was The Host, which maybe I will get to later this year.

The Chemist is about a scientist who is on the run from her formal employers, not because she did something wrong, but because she knew too much. Her life is all about staying alive and using various convoluted ways of doing that and staying anonymous. I could definitely relate to her as someone who thinks through all the possible scenarios, but not because it’s a life and death thing to me, it’s a be the most efficient I can be thing.

As the story starts she is contacted by the people she used to work for and that throws her for a loop, and the rest of the story is about watching her make choices that she never thought she would make. All that thinking every detail through – it’s gone. And that kind of made me lose a bit of respect for her, but then I’m not in her shoes experiencing what she was.

For me this was very entertaining, there were a few mushy scenes worthy of Twilight, but on the whole it had me semi-guessing what was coming next and the ending was rather pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment