Saturday 5 April 2014

Three Reasons to Read Thomas Hardy

I started to read Thomas Hardy because I had seen a poor adaptation of The Mayor of Casterbridge. I picked it up in a second hand bookshop to see if the book was better than the version I had watched. It was. Since then I've picked up most of his novels and short stories in second hand bookshops and charity shops. I think they are well written and here are three reasons why I think you should read them:

1.       He is often overlooked
In 2012 the Daily Telegraph produced an article about how books by Thomas Hardy and other similar writers were falling out of fashion. Hardy’s books have a reputation of being depressing and it is true they don’t often end well. But that is no reason to miss out on good writing. Everyone has heard of Thomas Hardy but how many have read his books? How many people have read the Trumpet Major (or The Crumpet Major as we dubbed it when I was reading it earlier this year) or other lesser known works?  In my opinion his most famous works are not always his best, and those lesser known titles get missed. Who knows what gems are out there that you might be missing out on.

2.       He shows us how our world has changed
The world we live in now is very different to the world that Thomas Hardy knew when he was writing. It’s good to be reminded of the changes that have taken place and think about whether they were good changes or not.

3.       He shows us what hasn't changed in our world


Some things don’t change. Injustice and hardship are still a part of this world. All the advances in technology and philosophy haven’t been able to change that. Humankind is at the heart of the problem. No matter what we do we cannot rid our hearts of sin. So another reason to read Hardy is to make us look forward to the new world that Jesus will bring. 


A good place to start with Hardy is probably a selection of his short stories. That's my recommendation anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment