Saturday 31 May 2014

Sofa Spotlight - Iron Sharpens Iron, Orlando Saer

What's it About?

This is a book about leading small groups in church. That's what the front of the book told me, and it proved to be an accurate description. Each of the six chapters covers a different aspect of what it means to lead a small group. There is a chapter on preparing to be a leader, but also a couple of very practical chapters about group dynamics and what to do during the meeting. The most important chapter for me was the first one, which was explaining why you would want to orientate your group around the Bible. As I am involved with a student Bible study it was a good book for me to be reading - I learnt stuff!

What was Good?

It wasn't just about the theory of Bible study, it went over the details and gave examples and practical advice. Also it is a short book, and that makes it manageable. With six chapters you could read one a day and have it finished within a week.

What was Bad?

I won't be able to remember everything that I learnt. I suppose I will just have to read it again sometime.

Who is it for?

Anyone who leads small groups, or is about to start leading one, or is just thinking about it. It wouldn't be a bad thing to read if you don't lead a small group and don't ever intend to, because you never know what might happen, and also it might give you an idea of how to help a small group leader.


No comments:

Post a Comment