Sunday 24 May 2015

No Pies with Kipling

The name Kipling makes me instantly think of Kipling Pies. I know very little about Rudyard Kipling or his work. I have recently read Captains Courageous and I liked it. So much so that I've picked up The Jungle Books. 

Still I want to know more about Kipling, so Wikipedia told me:

He was born in Bombay in 1865
He died in London in 1936 
He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature - the first English language writer to receive it
On more than one occasion he declined a knighthood

It doesn't give me a lot and I can see that soon I will be tracking down a biography. I like that he was from India, and it partly explains why the Jungle Books are so believable. What I've found in the book so far is that his stories carry a lot of flavour and I'm looking forward to seeing another culture through his eyes. 

Another little fact I found out about Kipling, this time from the front of the book I'm reading, is that Kipling was at one time a journalist. Seems that I have accidentally found another book written by an author who has experience as a journalist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment