Friday 22 May 2015

The Jungle Books

It has to be said that one of the things that convinced me to buy this book was the cover. It has a big picture of the face of a tiger. I can also say that what nearly put me off buying this book were my memories of the Disney version. I cannot tell you how much I hate that version. Annoyingly when I told EG that I was reading The Jungle Books she started singing the songs from Disney.

But I'm now 116 pages in and if life didn't get in the way I wouldn't have ever put it down. 

The title gives it away that there is more than one book in this book, there are in fact two. What I didn't realise when I started was that it was a selection of short stories. In fact I was three stories in before I realised that this was the case. Sometimes I feel I would help myself if I didn't just pick up a book and start reading it without reading the blurb or just anything that would give me an idea of what was inside the book. 

Anyway I'm merrily reading away about Mowgli and his adventures in the jungle with Baloo and friends, I love Kaa by the way, he is my favourite if not a little sinister, thinking that this is what the entire book will be about, when all of a sudden I find I'm reading a story completely unreleated to the previous three. If I hadn't been on a train I might have made my feelings verbal but I didn't want to draw unwanted attention to myself. Having discovered I was reading short stories I adapted to what I was reading, and I still like it so it's ok. But it was a shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment