Monday 14 December 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

This is my first time reading this since I studied it for my a-levels, sadly quite a while ago. I also read the edition that I used back then and having all my notes in the margin made it quite a nostalgic reading.

But it is interesting reading it as an adult, and somehow, I saw so much more this time. I still feel that Hamlet has a lot to answer for and that he could have handled things much better. Although, if my father’s ghost came to me and told me that my uncle had murdered him, I’m not sure how I would handle that situation either. But still, I would try not to kill one person, make another person go mad and then have my actions lead to the deaths of multiple other people.

If you’ve not read or seen it performed before, it might not be a Christmas read. There isn’t much that is jolly about it and by the end the only character I have any respect for is Horatio. Some great lines in this though and would recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment