Monday 21 December 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Underland, Robert Macfarlane

When I saw this book I was so intrigued by its title and blurb that I had to pick it up and read it. What’s not to love about someone exploring deep places underground and mixing in a bit of the concept of time. Amazing. And it didn’t disappoint, for many reasons.

I like my books to teach me things and take me places I wouldn’t normally go (which, if given a choice, would be anywhere outside my front door). This book fulfilled both requirements, in fact, it was so good at taking my imagination on a journey underground that I was left feeling slightly claustrophobic. There was so much to learn from these journeys that I will be mulling them over for some time. The chapter on the tunnels under Paris alone makes this book a good read.

My recommendation would be that you read this on a really chilly winter’s day. It helps because it’s dark outside so you get a bit of a feel for the underland, and the chapters that are about the glaciers in Greenland – you’re going to want to fell cold so that you can appreciate them even more. So good was this book that I immediately went out and bought Landmarks, review coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment