Friday 25 December 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Landmarks, Robert Macfarlane

I chose this book because having just read Underland I needed a post great-read fix. This intrigued me because of its reference to language. I love words, and their origins and use is fascinating to me. So a book that looks at the locality of language, and how it is used to describe the world around us, was a must read.

My favourite part of each chapter was the glossary section at the end. I spent hours looking over the different words that describe subtle differences in weather, or details about hedgerows that I would normally miss. It’s a book that encourages you to engage with the world that we can see and experience and to go out and find or create our own words to describe our environments.

It was another excellent read, well enjoyed and very important. Language gets lost all the time and there’s such a wealth of vocabulary that we are losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment