Monday 28 December 2020

Sofa Spotlight - Shades of Light, Sharon Garlough Brown

 I wasn’t sure what I was expecting when I picked up this book. I’m not the biggest fan of Christian fiction so my expectations were not high, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The storyline is about Wren, a social worker in her late 20s who suffers an emotional breakdown after the departure of her best friend, Casey. Casey doesn’t feature much in the book but his presence is throughout and he isn’t certainly key to the story and Wren’s mental health.

What I loved about this story was the care that was taken to describe what Wren was going through. I’m sure that her experience will ring true for many people, as it did for me. But what gave the book great depth was also the impact of Wren’s illness on the people around her. Her great-aunt Kit is clearly a solid support for her but her mum’s journey is just as significant as Wren’s own.

I would say this is a must read, even if it is just to get a glimpse into what life is like for someone who loses their grip on their mental health, even for just a little while. Great book, loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment