Monday 18 August 2014

Reading on the Shelf

Le Tour - Geoffrey Wheatcroft

So far in the history of the Tour de France the first world war has caused the TDF to be postponed for five years. What was sad about this part of the book was that so many of the riders that had competed in the TDF were killed in the war. Also read about the only rider to be murdered (after the war) and his murder remains unsolved.

Sweet Poison - David Gillespie


We've moved from looking at the research into obesity and the effect sugar consumption has on obesity to the diereses that it causes. What I found interesting was how sugar came to be part of our diets, and what caused the increase in consumption.

On Looking - Alexandra Horowitz


The second person to make the walk around the blog was a geologist. I didn't think I would be interested in this chapter but I was surprised. The chapter that I've just started to read is about noticing the words and language that adorn the surfaces that we see everyday.

Digital Fortress - Dan Brown

There was a twist and I enjoyed it. I think that I have got to the bottom of the mystery now and worked out the agendas of all the characters. Part of me hopes that I am wrong so that there will be another twist. I am a bit disappointed in one of the characters though.

How Children Succeed - Paul Tough

Another surprise in how much I have enjoyed this. Haven't read too much, but so far the connection between biology and how children respond to education is discussed. So a child's background can cause problems with how their bodies work and that can have an effect on how well they learn. At least that's what I think it said, I may have misunderstood. 

Tom Brown's Schooldays - Thomas Hughes

More surprises here. I have once before tried to read this and been put off by the lengthy descriptions at the beginning. This time I have pushed through and have really enjoyed what I have read. Tom has just arrived at Rugby school. I sense it is going to be a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment