Wednesday 27 August 2014

Sofa Spotlight - Marks of the Messenger, J. Mack Stiles

What is it about?

This isn't a book about evangelism as such. It is about what how you should be thinking and living so that you don't miss the obvious. It is about preparing ourselves to be better messengers of God's good news. The content of the book is about the gospel, and the mistakes that can be made when we share it with others. It looks at what happens when we add things to the gospel or take things away from it. At the end of the book the last chapter has a list of bullet points that provide a summary of what the book covers. If you can't read the entire book you should read the last chapter with that list. I never thought I would recommend just reading the last chapter of a book. But make sure you read the whole book at some point, to understand what Stiles means in those bullet points.

What was good?

Stiles is a good concise writer. He is straightforward and to the point, which I think is why each chapter is easy to digest. It was easy to work out what his point was in each section and see where it could be applied. I'm surprised to say that it was a hard book to put down, I only ever feel that way about novels, so there must be something good about it. You will have to read it to find out what it is.

What was bad?

I don't like pointing out was bad about a book unless it is obvious and I had a problem with it. I didn't have any massive problems with this book. Not a huge fan of the cover, but I will cope.

Who is for?

All Christians should read this. The chapter on guarding the gospel is essential reading for all Christians.


No comments:

Post a Comment