Wednesday 25 February 2015

Sofa Spotlight - Les Miserables, Victor Hugo




Finally. That's what went through my head when I finished this book last night. Getting through it all has been a triumph and I am pleased, but not as pleased as I have felt when I have finished other long novels. I think that, as much as I enjoyed the story, I didn't have the connection with the main characters that I did in the other beasts of novels that I have read.

The narrative follows the story of Jean Valjean, an ex convict who turns good and who changes the fortunes of a little girl called Cosette. On the trail of Valjean is the policeman, Jalvert, who will not quit in his quest to bring Valjean to justice. There are some good themes about justice and grace in the novel which I found interesting to follow.

But if I am honest, I'm disappointed in the ending. And by that I mean the ending of the storyline, not the end of the book, as the last thirty or so pages didn't add much to the storyline. 

Overall I would say this isn't my favourite book. But I'm glad that I invested the time to find that out. I would probably recommend the abridged version - that way you can avoid unnecessary detail about the Parisian sewers!




No comments:

Post a Comment