Friday 26 December 2014

Sofa Spotlight - The Cuckoo's Calling, Robert Galbraith



It's true I've finished it! My second book this month - it would seem that I am on a roll. And this book was genius, one of the best books I've read.

Strike is a private detective who is hired to investigate the "suicide" of a model. There is some doubt about whether it was actually a suicide or not, and that is what Strike is called in to investigate. Crime fiction is not a genre I know much about but I did enjoy this. I couldn't work it out, although I did have a suspicion which turned out to be correct, and I loved that I was on the edge of my seat right until the very end.

Not only is the drama good, and the writing of it is beautiful, but there are some brilliant characters. The relationship between Strike and his temp secretary Robin gives the novel the edge. There is nothing stereotypical about it and there is a lot that is comedic. In some ways the non-romantic nature of their relationship is what makes it refreshing but I think that it does a lot to lighten the tone of the book.

This is one that is definitely well worth a read. I can't wait to read the second one!

No comments:

Post a Comment